Prep Time: 10 minutes
Slow Cook Time: 4-5 hours on low or 2-3 hours on high
4 cloves garlic
1 bunch cilantro leaves, washed and patted dry, divided
zest of 1 lime
zest of 1 orange
¼ cup lime juice
½ cup orange juice
¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon sea salt
12 corn tortillas, warmed
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
Optional garnishes: guacamole, pico de gallo, guacamole, sliced jalapeños
- Spray the crock of a slow cooker with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree together the garlic, half the bunch of cilantro leaves, lime zest, orange zest, lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil and corn starch. Set aside.
- Place thinly sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker pot. Top with chicken thighs and season with salt. Pour the marinade mixture over the top of the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours.
- Carefully remove the lid and using two forks, shred the chicken.
- To assemble the tacos, place a heaping spoonful of the shredded chicken onto each corn tortilla. Top with shredded cheese and garnish with remaining cilantro and as desired with guacamole, pico de gallo, guacamole or jalapeños.